How To Setup Kube State Metrics on Kubernetes
In this blog we will look at what is Kube State Metrics and its setup on Kubernetes.
What is Kube State Metrics?
Kube State metrics is s service which talks to Kubernetes API server to get all the details about all the API objects like deployments, pods, daemonsets etc. Basically it provides kubernetes API object metrics which you cannot get directly from native Kubernetes monitoring components.
Kube state metrics service exposes all the metrics on
/metrics URI. Prometheus can scrape all the metrics exposed by kube state metrics. Here are the few key objects you can monitor with kube state metrics.
- Monitor node status, node capacity (CPU and memory)
- Monitor replica-set compliance (desired/available/unavailable/updated status of replicas per deployment)
- Monitor pod status (waiting, running, ready, etc)
- Monitor the resource requests and limits.
- Monitor Job & Cronjob Status
You can check out the detailed supported metrics from the documentation here.
You Might Like: How To Setup Prometheus on Kubernetes
Kube State Metrics Setup
kube state metrics is available as a public docker image. You will have to deploy the following Kubernetes objects for kube state metrics to work.
- A Service Account
- Cluster Role – For kube state metrics to access all the Kubernetes API objects.
- Cluster Role Binding – Binds the service account with the cluster role.
- Kube State Metrics Deployment
- Service – To expose the metrics
All the above kube state metrics objects will be deployed in the
Step 1: Clone the Github repo
git clone https://github.com/devopscube/kube-state-metrics-configs.git
Step 2: Create all the objects by pointing to the cloned directory.
kubectl apply -f kube-state-metrics-configs/
Step 3: Check the deployment status using the following command.
kubectl get deployments kube-state-metrics -n kube-system
kube State Metrics Prometheus Config
All the kube static metrics can be obtained from the kube state service endpoint on
This configuration can be added as part of prometheus job configuration. You need to add the following job configuration to your prometheus config for prometheus to scrape all the kube state metrics.
- job_name: 'kube-state-metrics' static_configs: - targets: ['kube-state-metrics.kube-system.svc.cluster.local:8080']