In this blog, we will look at the key changes in the Kubernetes v1.21 release.
Here is a highlevel release changes.
- Total 51 enhancements
- 13 enhancements moved to stable
- 16 enhancements moved to beta
- 20 enhancements moved to alpha
- 2 deprecated features
As per the official Kubernetes blog PSP (Pod Security Policy) is Deprecated in v1.21.
It doesn’t mean that it will be removed in v1.2. PSP feature will continue to exist till version 1.25 as per the current plan.
You can look into options like K-Rail, Kyverno, and OPA/Gatekeeper which has better user experience for implementing security policies.
PSP Replacement Policy
Kubernetes Developer community is working on a feature which is now called the “PSP Replacement Policy” is expected to have an Alpha release in Kubernetes version 1.22.
Use cases covered by PodSecurityPolicy will be covered by the PSP Replacement Policy.
Here is the KEP and also take a look at the Proposal document to know more details
topologyKeys alpha is deprecated. Topology-aware routing is implemented as topology-aware hints. It is in the Alpha version.
You Might Like: Kubernetes Tutorials
Following are the minor changes in V1.21
- CronJobs Object is made Stable.
- Immutable Secrets & Configmaps is made stable: If the immutable flag is enabled, it cannot be reverted.
- IPv4/IPv6 dual-stack support is made beta.
- Graceful node shutdown is made beta. It is one of the required features in Kubernetes as many implementations use custom solutions to gracefully shut down the workloads during node termination.
- Alpha release of PersistentVolume Health Monitor: You can monitor the health of PVs